Plumbing problems are common in every home. These problems can be avoided with regular maintenance and the use of a few preventive measures. You don’t need much knowledge or effort to prevent plumbing issues from happening.
These are the steps you can take so you don’t have common plumbing issues every day.
- Avoid dumping cooking grease down your drain: Cooking grease builds up and can block your drain over time. This is because the cooking grease, which runs down the kitchen drain, becomes hardened and sticks to your pipes when it cools. You can prevent this from happening by disposing of any cooking grease in your normal garbage.
- Always use drain screens: Drain screens are recommended for all drain pipes. They prevent small objects, such as hair and jewelry, from entering drains or pipes.
- Use baking soda: Baking soda can be your best friend to clean clogged pours and grease. It is essential to have baking soda on hand for many DIY projects.You can prevent blocked drains by adding baking soda to your drains. Next, add a small amount of warm water. Let it sit for about an hour before adding about a cup white vinegar. It is easy to flush your drains with hot water. To avoid any plumbing problems, do this regularly.
- Watch out for old pipes and your water heater: Water heaters can have a long life span, but if they are damaged or leaky, it can cause serious problems. Regular inspections of your water heater and connection pipes will ensure they aren’t rusting or leaking. Old pipes can cause the same thing and should be avoided so you don’t end up in a financial disaster or have to spend large sums of money on repairs.
- Professional help is available: For any new pipe, faucet, or water heater repair it is important to get professional assistance. They know the best way and have all the tools necessary. You run the risk that leakages could occur, which can lead to serious plumbing issues.
- Schedule an appointment: You should schedule inspections at least twice annually by a professional plumber to make sure that all pipes and drains are working properly.