Clogged drains can be a problem in kitchen sinks. This is often caused by grease buildup. This can cause a lot of problems, including standing water, messes, or unpleasant odors. These are some ways to get rid of grease from drains.
How to determine if you have a grease clog in your drain
How do you know if your drain has clogged? There are a few things you can do to find out if your drain has clogged. Think about how you cook in the kitchen. Is it a habit to dump cooking fats down the drain instead of putting them in the trash? If you answered yes, then your drain may be clogged up with grease and cooking fats.
Even if oil isn’t directly poured into your drain, a grease block can still be a result of daily cooking. There will be fat in your food if you use a lot of meats and dairy products.
Fats from cooking and dishwashing go down the drain. These tiny bits of oils and fats build up and eventually block your drain.
You might notice these signs if your drain is clogged by grease
- Water drains slowly and makes loud, gurgling noises.
- Slow drainage; it gets worse over time.
- A persistent unpleasant smell near the sink. This smell is usually rotten, rancid or stale food.
Here are the Best Ways To Clean Grease From Drains
There are several DIY options available depending on the severity of the clog and the location. Professionals may be needed if the clog becomes more severe or is not accessible. Use these drain degreaser tips first.
- You can pour boiling water down your drain if you just start to notice signs of a grease blockage. This can often melt or dissolve grease from drain pipes.
- A 50/50 solution of boiling water and vinegar is a good option for clogs with a more severe appearance. A few tablespoons of baking soda can be added to your drain for an extra kick. This will make it easier to break up grease clogs.
- Follow any boiling solution with plunging. While this won’t be a permanent solution, it will help to break up any grease clogs so that the water can drain.
If none of these solutions work, the clog could be too far down. This means that the boiling water cools quickly by the time it reaches the clog.
How can you remove grease from a drainpipe that is so deep? You should call a professional Glendale, CA Plumber to help clear the blockage.