Most likely, your kitchen sink is not something you give much thought to until you encounter a plumbing problem. One plumbing issue you might encounter is low water pressure in the kitchen sink. You won’t get far no matter how great your cooking skills are or how much you try to clean your sink before dinner.
Check your aerator to see if your sink is experiencing low water pressure. Modern kitchen faucets come with an aerator. This works to remove minerals and other contaminants from your water supply, allowing you to have clean, pure tap water.
The aerator can become clogged if it is constantly filtered with all that debris. It may be necessary to clean out the aerator or replace it entirely depending on how much sediment is built up. You may be able to remove the aerator by yourself in some sinks. These steps will help you do it:
- Use slip-joint scissors and a towel to remove the faucet’s aerator. You can also wrap the pliers in tape for protection against scratches. Some aerators may need to be removed with pliers, while others might need to be pulled in a twist-off motion.
- Re-open the faucet to check the water pressure. If the water pressure suddenly drops, it’s likely that your aerator has the problem.
- For gunk, mineral deposits, clogs and gunk, inspect the aerator.
- Hot water can be used to rinse the aerator. For stubborn gunk or dirt, soak the aerator overnight in vinegar.
- You can scrub the aerator with a small brush or a toothbrush.
- Reinstall the aerator.
After cleaning your aerator you may find your water pressure has dropped. You might still need to have your aerator checked by a Glendale, CA Plumber if it is damaged or defective.
If your kitchen sink still has low water pressure, it may be due to a defective cartridge. You may not find a cartridge on all kitchen sinks. However, it is worth checking if you have one. Cartridges control the flow of water at your kitchen sink.
They are designed to be easily replaced so that they can last the life of the sink. If your last routine plumbing maintenance was not long ago, low water pressure could indicate a clogged cartridge.
These steps will help you determine if your kitchen sink’s water pressure is low because of a blocked cartridge.
- Turn off the supply valves for your kitchen sink.
- Run the faucet until you get no more water.
- First, take out the valve handle. Next, remove the screw cap. This could require an Allen wrench, or a hexkey.
- Once the valve handle is removed, you can lift the cartridge out. Depending on your model, you might need to unscrew some more bolts or screws before you can fully remove the cartridge.
- You should inspect the cartridge for signs of excessive wear and dirt. If it isn’t, you can clean it with a mixture vinegar and water. But we recommend replacing it with a compatible cartridge.
Municipal Water Supply issue
Talk to your neighbors, if nothing has worked so far to improve your water pressure. If they are experiencing low water pressure as well, it may not be your plumbing. It could be your municipal water supply.
Your kitchen sink may be low because of maintenance that the town or city is doing on the supply lines connecting to your home and the municipal water lines. Contact your water company to discuss the issue.
Faulty pressure reducing valve
A pressure reducing valve is a valve that reduces pressure. Also known as a PRV, or pressure regulator valve, the kitchen sink will most likely have one. It looks like a bell and is pre-adjusted. You can adjust this valve to see if it changes your water pressure.
If you are going to attempt to remove or loosen the valve, make sure you turn off all water supply valves in your home. A replacement might be necessary if the PRV is not working or there are obvious signs of age or damage. Call a professional Glendale, CA Plumber to replace the valve quickly and easily.
Shutoff Valve Problem
As with all kitchen sinks, the shutoff valve for your kitchen sink is located under the sink. The shutoff valve shuts off water supply to the sink, as its name implies.
But, the valve is not always used. It can become rigid as minerals and rust build up. The valve could be damaged if you have dropped items underneath the sink. This can lead to low water pressure in your kitchen.
The shutoff valve should be fully opened. There are sometimes two hot/cold water shutoff valves for kitchen sinks. A replacement may be necessary if the valve(s), or you suspect that there has been damage, is not possible. Get in touch with a plumber immediately to fix the problem.
One leak is all it takes to let air in your pipes. Low water pressure could be the cause.
Pipe leaks are not something you can DIY fix. The plumbing system in your home is complicated, so you may do more harm than good. If you suspect that a pipe leak is occurring, shut off your water supply and call a professional Glendale, CA Plumber immediately.
Water Line Problem
Your water lines connect your appliances, sinks, and pipes to the pipes within your home. A leaky or broken water line can cause low water pressure in your kitchen sink. If this is the case, close all faucets and water supply valves to check for leaks. Then take a water meter reading.
After waiting for approximately four hours, take another reading. If your readings have changed, this could indicate that you have a water leak or a break in your water lines. This is another problem that most likely cannot be fixed with DIY repairs. Call for emergency Glendale plumbing services immediately.
Are you having other plumbing issues? What can you do when your drain becomes clogged? Why does your drain gurgle We can help homeowners with these and many other questions.
Are you in urgent need of a Glendale, CA Plumber? We offer emergency plumbing services as well as routine maintenance. Plus, we perform HVAC repair and replacement to keep you home comfortable. Let us handle everything including the kitchen sink.