A cold shower is not everyone’s idea for a great start to the day. It could be that your water heater is letting you know you’re running out of hot showers faster than you used to. Don’t blame your spouse for the icy shower. A hot water heater that isn’t keeping up with demand is a sign that it needs to be fixed. You don’t have to suffer through cold showers every day. There are simple ways to troubleshoot the problem.
Signs You Need Water Heater Repair
These are the signs that your water heater is in need of professional repair.
- You run out of hot water quicker than normal
- Low hot water pressure
- Water leaking
- Discolored, cloudy or rusty water
- Water with an unpleasant smell or taste
- The water heater makes unusual sounds
Troubleshooting Tips For a Malfunctioning Hot Water Heater
After you have determined that your water heater is not working, these are some troubleshooting tips.
- Look around for leaks in the water heater. A loose pipe or broken valve could cause water leaking from the top. Water leaking from bottom of heaters can be caused by condensation, a leaky valve, or water coming out the overflow pipe when there is too much pressure.
- The circuit breaker should be checked. If there is no hot water, the circuit breaker may have tripped. You should check your panel for any misaligned switches. To reset the circuit, flip the switch around if one is out of alignment. If the problem persists, the problem could be caused by a malfunction of the heating elements. This will require professional replacement.
- Look out for sediment in your heater. To test if hot water is returning to your tank , you can try flushing it and then filling it again.
- Pay attention to the water. The presence of rust in the water can indicate corrosion on heater parts or inside the tank.
What can I do if my water heater is not working properly?
You should seek professional help if you are unable to find the source of the hot water. It can be more troublesome and expensive to fix the issue yourself. A licensed Glendale, CA Plumber can quickly diagnose the problem and make repairs so that you can continue taking hot showers.